Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tattoos and Publix

Will has been getting his left arm finished by Alain at Euphoria Tattoos and, besides looking awesome, they reminded me of this time a few years ago when we were at Publix. He had just gotten his right arm finished (also by Alain) and people, especially at Publix, always like to give their opinion on his tattoos.
We were walking around in the produce aisle and this young woman walked by, casually dressed with her Coach bag in hand. She had her son in the shopping cart, he was probably about 3. We heard the little boy say to his mom "Oh my gosh mommy. Why did he draw all over his arms?! He's gonna get in trouble...oh my gosh." First of all, this made me crack up laughing so hard! I started tuning out the mothers response because I figured it would be some sort of account of how "bad" tattoos are and "don't stare at people," etc.
I was shocked at her answer to her son.
She told him, "Well he had that drawn on his arms by an artist because he loves art so much." This made the boy smile at Will, seeming VERY happy that Will wasn't going to be getting punished for drawing on his own skin.
What a great answer! Today I feel the same warmness from that mother's answer to her son as I did when I first heard it. What a great example of how the answers we give children are so important and determining. I'm not saying that I hope that boy runs out to get all the tattoos he can but I do hope it helps in his acceptance and appreciation for things and people that are different from himself. Just as I hope that mother realizes her answers mean so much.
Now that Bowie is here, this memory makes me smile even more. Makes me want to put real thought into the answers I give her when she starts asking her world of questions, regardless of how inconsequential they seem at the time.
Soon enough I'll be the mom in the produce section pushing a 3 year old around, I wish for the clarity, sense of influence, and sense of humor to have answers honest and thoughtful.

1 comment: